Customized Services for Scholarly Publications in Print and Electronic Formats
The Philosophy Documentation Center provides publishing and web hosting solutions for learned societies, independent journals, and scholarly publishers. We digitize and host journals, book series, conference proceedings, newsletters, and archives of any size. Online access is implemented in a manner that best meet your needs. Our work is fast, reliable, and cost-effective.
What Our Partners Say
- “Philosophy Today publishes in connection with PDC and we could not be happier. Their team got the journal online with incredible efficiency. They are professional, always helpful, and constantly thinking of new ways to increase the journal’s accessibility.”
— Peg Birmingham, DePaul University, Philosophy Today
- “PDC helped me organize publication of 10 volumes of Presidential Addresses of the American Philosophical Association online, print-on-demand, and as eBook downloads. They succeeded where others failed and I am enormously pleased with their work.”
— Richard T. Hull, Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at SUNY Buffalo, Editor and Publisher
- “We evaluated several electronic providers and found that Philosophy Documentation Center best meets our needs. PDC provides excellent, comprehensive service. We very much appreciate its personal approach and continuing support.”
— Dr. Christopher Janosik, Villanova University, Journal of Catholic Social Thought
- “Philosophy Documentation Center works creatively and collaboratively to help us increase online access to our journal. They do excellent and reliable work for us, and the University of Arkansas Press is happy to have PDC as a partner.”
— Mike Bieker, University of Arkansas Press, Philosophical Topics
- “Philosophy Documentation Center provides an important service and they do so extremely well. PDC has been very good to our journal, which is better off today thanks to their skill and commitment.”
— Erick Raphael Jiménez, The New School for Social Research, Graduate Faculty Philosophy Journal
We specialize in the development of customized publishing arrangements and our e-publishing work begins with a discussion of your needs. Each project is planned cooperatively to help you increase access, improve service, and meet essential commitments. In particular, we understand that income from publications or membership dues can be essential to maintaining professional activities such as conferences, grants, and research stipends. Once we understand your needs we can outline appropriate solutions that can be implemented promptly.
Multiple Access Options
- Free search and page previews
- Online First pre-publication access
- Subscription or membership access
- Purchase options for monographs / archives
- Single document purchase
- IP authentication for institutions
- Username / password for individuals
- Consortia or multi-institution access
- Print-on-demand for select publications
- Open access option (if sustainable without author fees)
- Post-cancellation access via PORTICO or by arrangement
We provide customized hosting and web site support for many organizations, including educational projects whose missions are broadly consistent with our own (example). We host over 200 publications in our E-Collection, and currently provide searchable online access to over 180,000 articles, reviews, and other documents in many languages. New titles are added to our site every year.
Discovery and Linking
PDC supports OpenURL linking and integrates digital object identifiers (DOIs) into all journals it publishes. We also support Cited-By Linking with CrossRef and participate in the CrossMark version identification service. All electronic collections hosted by PDC are covered by the major discovery services (EBSCO, OCLC, ProQuest) and are indexed by Google Scholar. Bibliographic metadata is available to all search engines, and is provided to select indexing services and journal portals in several countries.
Digitization and Preservation
Most published scholarship is contained in back issues and older volumes of journals, series, and other publications. We help make this material more accessible by digitizing back issue archives of all sizes. We convert print copy to searchable electronic collections, and provide PDFs of each document for display or download. Each collection is made accessible online in a customized manner. Long term preservation of content in electronic format is assured through PORTICO and the CLOCKSS archive.
Our digitization and electronic publishing work is done on site at PDC in Charlottesville, Virginia. For select journals we provide online submissions management through ScholarOne Manuscripts. Our technical work is supported by Makrolog Content Management.
General information about our E-Collection is available in the following languages (PDF).
Contact Susanne Mueller-Grote at smg [@] pdcnet.org to see how we might help with your project.