Thought and Practice: A Journal of the Philosophical Association of Kenya
A Journal of the Philosophical Association of Kenya
The mission of Thought and Practice is to serve scholars with broad interests in the humanities and social sciences by disseminating original articles with a philosophical outlook, with emphasis on intellectual, social and political issues that are of special relevance to contemporary Africa. Its vision is to be a forum for incisive philosophic reflection on intellectual, social and political issues within the African context.
Authors may submit manuscripts for publication through the journal's web site at African Journals Online. After submission authors can check the status of current submissions online.
Manuscripts may also be submitted as an email attachment to [email protected].
Each submission must strictly adhere to the guidelines below to be considered for publication
1. Title Page. This must include:
- Title of paper
- Author's name and title
- Author's institutional affiliation
- Author's email address
2. Abstract. Include an abstract answering the following questions:
A. What is the purpose of the paper?
B. What is the research methodology employed in the preparation of the paper?
C. What are the main findings presented in the paper?
D. What conclusions do you draw from the findings?
E. How do your findings contribute to knowledge?
F. Is the paper relevant to the vision and mission of Thought and Practice?
3. Word Limit. Manuscripts should contain approximately 5000-7000 words (NOT including the list of references).
4. Use of Language. The language of publication is English. Authors must ensure that their use of language conforms to the rules of English grammar
5. Manuscript Formatting
- FILE FORMAT: Microsoft Word (.doc, not .docx)
- FONTS: Times New Romans, 12 points, 1.5 line spacing, justified.
- IN-TEXT REFERENCES: Chicago Manual of Style, author-date-page system, with a list of references at the end of the paper.
- Footnotes: for explanatory material only.
- LONG QUOTATIONS: 0.5” left indent, 0.5” right indent, single line spacing.
- SHORT QUOTATIONS: within the text, in double quotation marks.
- Heading 1: centred, bolded, 14 points, 1.5 line spacing.
- Heading 2: aligned left, bolded, 14 points, 1.5 line spacing.
- Heading 3: aligned left, bolded, italicized, 12 points, 1.5 line spacing.
- Heading 4: aligned left, italicized, 11 points, single line spacing.
Submission Preparation Checklist
All submissions must comply with the following requirements. Submissions that do not adhere to these guidelines may be returned to authors.
1. The manuscript must be original, cannot have been previously published, and cannot be under consideration for publication elsewhere.
2. The submitted file must be in Microsoft Word, RTF, or WordPerfect document file format.
3. Where available, URLs for the references must have been provided.
4. Text must be single-spaced in a 12-point font. Employ italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses). All illustrations, figures, and tables must be placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
5. The text must adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines above.
6. If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review must be followed.