Philosophy Learning and Teaching Organization (PLATO)
The Philosophy Learning and Teaching Organization is a national organization that advocates and supports introducing philosophy to pre-college students. PLATO provides education for teachers about ways to introduce philosophy in pre-college classrooms, supports faculty and graduate students working in the field of pre-college philosophy, and advocates in both the philosophical and educational communities for more pre-college philosophy instruction. More information is available at the organization's website - http://plato-philosophy.org.
Annual memberships for individuals include username / password access to the publications listed below. PLATO members also receive a print copy of the current issue of Questions: Philosophy for Young People.
Any pre-college school may become an institutional member of PLATO.
Online access for institutional memberships is provided by IP authentication.
Benefits of PLATO membership
- Becoming part of the national pre-college philosophical community.
- Sharing lesson plans and other teaching materials with colleagues
(through the PLATO website and listserv, newsletters, and PLATO-sponsored conferences).
- Discounts at all institutes, conferences and other trainings in pre-college philosophy offered by PLATO, as well as discounts at conferences offered by the American Association of Philosophy Teachers.
- 20% discount on Philosophy and Education: Introducing Philosophy to Young People, a new anthology that emerged from the first PLATO conference in 2011.
- 30% discount on membership in the P4C Co-operative
- A membership list of teachers, philosophers and others teaching philosophy in pre-college classrooms.
- Over 4,500 articles, reviews, and other items from these publications (LOGIN HERE):
- Demonstrating Philosophy (anthology), 1988
- Questions: Philosophy for Young People, Volume 1 (2001) to present
- Teaching Ethics, Volume 1 (2001) to present
- Teaching New Histories of Philosophy (anthology), 2004
- Teaching Philosophy, Volume 1 (1975) to present
- Teaching Philosophy (anthology), 2009
- Teaching Philosophy Today, 2nd edition (anthology), 2012
- The Journal of Pre-College Philosophy, Volumes 1-2 (1975-1977)
- The Journal of Critical Analysis, Volumes 1-9 (1969-1992)
- Thinking: The Journal of Philosophy for Children, Volumes 1-20 (1979-2014)
|-- Academic Year for individuals
|Print and Online (Single user license)
|-- Calendar Year for pre-college schools
|Print and Online (IP authentication)
You may renew your membership, check its status, or update your contact information online.
For more information contact us by phone 800-444-2419 or 434-220-3300, by fax 434-220-3301; or by e-mail order [@] pdcnet.org