All submissions must be made in electronic format to the editorial office at [email protected].
Authors should submit their manuscripts in Word 2007 format as an email attachment to the above address. A complete submission includes a cover letter and appropriately formatted original manuscript.
The cover email letter should include:
Author(s) name(s) and institutional affiliation(s)
Contact information for one author, including at least e-mail address and telephone number
Confirmation that the manuscript is not currently under consideration by any other publication
Types of Submissions and Length Requirements
- Article - 8000 word limit, inclusive of critical apparatus, abstract, and keywords.
- Book discussion (must include at least two responses to an author's book, as well as the author's reply) - 8000 word limit, inclusive of critical apparatus, abstract, and keywords.
- Review essay - 3000 word limit, inclusive of critical apparatus. These should engage more substantively and critically with the book being discussed than short book reviews.
- Book review - 500 word limit, inclusive of critical apparatus.
- Manuscripts shall be original, unpublished works and may not be under consideration at another publication.
- Since a blind review process is used, no authors’ name should appear anywhere on the manuscript. In addition, because we share files electronically, it is the authors’ responsibility to strip the file of any other identifying notations, including references in the document’s properties, title, or first-person language in text or references.
- Submitted manuscripts must be in a condition ready for publication according to The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition. A helpful resource on The Chicago Manual of Style is available here.
- All articles should include a bibliography or reference list.
- You may use author-date style or shortened versions of endnotes with a bibliography.
- If using the author-date system of citation for references in the text, endnotes may also be used for substantive information inappropriate for inclusion in the body of an article. However, authors are encouraged to incorporate information into the text where possible.
- Please do not submit manuscripts with coding from bibliographic software like EndNote or Reference Manager.
- Each submitted manuscript should include a brief abstract (150 words or less) as well as five key words.
- Place single and double quotation marks outside periods and commas, but inside semicolons.
- Use double quotation marks for direct citations, and single quotation marks for emphasis or quotations within quotations.
- Use italics or single quotation marks for emphasis sparingly.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced with 1" margins on all sides using 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
- All pages should be numbered.
- Authors should indent new paragraphs rather than include an extra line between paragraphs, and should differentiate major and minor headings.
- Numbers less than 100 should be spelled out, unless they are a percentage (e.g., "5 percent")
- All tables, figures or other graphics should appear at the end of the article and be included in the same file. If this is not possible, please provide the original file used to produce the figure or graph.
- It is the author's responsibility to obtain any necessary permission for use of copyrighted material contained within the article.
All submissions and editorial correspondence should be addressed to the executive editor:
2352 North Clifton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614