Environmental Ethics is a forum for diverse interests and attitudes, and seeks to bring together the nonprofessional environmental philosophy tradition with the professional interest in the subject. Articles are welcome in any area of philosophy or environmental affairs. Manuscripts are judged on their philosophical merit and their relevance to environmental affairs. Normally they should deal with questions of value or with problems of concept clarification. Because many readers have only a marginal background in professional philosophy, authors should explain technical philosophical terms and ideas more fully when introducing them than is normally required in other philosophy journals.
Article manuscripts should be submitted by email in Word format (.docx, .doc) and prepared for anonymous review. A complete submission includes a cover letter and appropriately formatted original manuscript.
The cover email letter should include:
- Author(s) name(s) and academic affiliation(s)
- Contact information, including email, phone number, and mailing address
- ORCID iD links for each author (if available)
- Confirmation that the manuscript is not currently under consideration by any other publication
Manuscripts must be original, unpublished work and the author(s) must not be identifable in the text. Submitted manuscripts should be double-spaced and include an abstract (150 words). Submitted manuscripts must not exceed 9,000 words, including the title, abstract, body, and notes but excluding the bibliography. Please indicate the word count when submitting the manuscript. For matters of style, consult The Chicago Manual of Style. The journal uses the Author-Date citation system, modified as follows: in-text citations should separate the year from the page with a colon, not a comma. For example, (Smith 2016: 315–316). The editors reserve the right to make editorial changes that do not involve changes in meaning.
In addition to articles the journal welcomes short comments, limited to 1,000 words. These are published at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief.
Manuscripts should be submitted by email to the editorial office:
As a condition of publication in Environmental Ethics, authors must complete a publication agreement that gives the journal permission to publish and preserve the author's work. There are two options:
- The standard publication agreement ensures publication in the journal in all formats, and preserves the author's right to reuse the manuscript in any other publication the author may write or edit. The journal's Open Access Archiving Policy applies to articles published with this agreement. No payment is required for submission or publication.
- An open access publication agreement may be offered with editorial approval. It ensures publication with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives publishing license (CC BY-NC-ND) that gives everyone the unlimited right to copy, download or use the published version of the text for non-commercial purposes. This option is sustained by an open access publishing fee.
Environmental Ethics is published in cooperation with the Center for Environmental Philosophy. It is a non-profit publication.
Instructions for Reviewers and Publishers
Unsolicited reviews are not accepted, but offers to review relevant books are welcome. Contact the review editors for more information.
Books for review and all related material should be sent to this address:
Dr. Yasha Rohwer
Oregon Institute of Technology
Humanities and Social Science
3201 Campus Drive
Klamath Falls, OR 97601